WHO IS CBT-I FOR?
- If you have had difficulties sleeping for more than three nights a week for over three months.
- If you are looking for a long-term, medication free solution to your insomnia.
- If your GP/Family doctor has excluded any underlying causes to your insomnia.
- If you are looking for a structured, science backed program that helps you learn to sleep again.
WHO IS CBT-I NOT FOR?
- You are under the age of 18.
- You are looking for a quick-fix or drug based solution
- You have an acute mental health or physical health condition that requires individual clinical assessment and treatment.
- You are pregnant, or a new parent of an infant child. As the needs of your newborn as well as hormonal changes can affect sleep, some of the recommendations in this program are not suitable.
DOES CBT-I WORK?
Clinical studies all confirm that CBT-I is the best first-line treatment for adults experiencing chronic insomnia.
When CBT-I is compared to the often commonly prescribed sleeping pill, results for long term success always side with the CBT-I and also have the added benefit of not relying on medication that often has further health complications and dependency issues.
If you are committed, CBT-I is proven to improve sleep despite other health conditions you may have such as anxiety, chronic pain or depression. It has also been proven to not only help you get more sleep, but feel less anxious and stressed with regards to your sleep.
Frequently Asked Questions about CBT-I
Is CBT-I Successful?
Most individuals who try CBT-I experience improvements to their insomnia and better-quality sleep. When patients undergo CBT-I, as many as 70% to 80% experience improvements to their overall sleep time, their sleep efficiency and report taking less time to fall asleep.
How long does it take for CBT-I to fix my sleep?
This is a very individual thing, some patients feel the effects quickly, some take a little longer. Most will start to see an improvement to their sleep efficiency within the first couple of weeks.
How long does the course take to complete?
It depends on the individual and how quickly your sleep improves. Some patients only need 4 sessions, some need more. There is a core 6 sessions of new learning material that is covered in the program, but additional sessions are often included (at not extra cost) if needed.
How much does the CBT-I course cost? Is there a payment plan?
The total cost of the course is $990 Australian dollars. This covers a minimum of 7 hours of consultation time, but is not capped at that. If you need additional time to improve your sleep we will work together at no additional cost. Once we are happy with where your sleep is at, then you have 3 additional months you can reach out to me for free if you need more help. If spending $990 in one go is a bit much for you, then reach out to me and we can organise a pay-as-you-go plan.
Are the sessions personalised?
Absolutely! Every insomnia journey is different and so I will pay more attention to the areas of treatment that are specific to you.
Is this covered by my insurance?
It depends on your insurance. Not every health insurance covers CBT-I and it would be worth calling your provider to check. Some may require a referral from your doctor, some won’t. I will provide a medical report for your insurance at the end if requested.
Does CBT-I have risks?
In order for CBT-I to work well, patients will need to address any confronting and problematic thoughts and behaviours they may be experiencing with their sleep. While treatment risks are low, it may be uncomfortable at times. I will help to minimize these risks and offer support and coping mechanisms where possible.